By Mitchell Newton-Matza
From the Salem Witch Trials of 1692 to the Sandy Hook institution bloodbath of 2012, this two-volume encyclopedia surveys tragic events—natural and man-made, recognized and forgotten—that assisted in shaping American history.
• Covers quite a lot of issues, from the notorious to the vague
• areas every one occasion in context, giving it deeper which means and displaying its effect
• contains basic resource fabric from U.S. best lawsuits, presidential speeches, eyewitness money owed, nation and federal laws, and federal executive investigations
• Brings the occasions it covers to existence via photographs and illustrations
Read or Download Disasters and Tragic Events: An Encyclopedia of Catastrophes in American History [2 volumes] PDF
Best social sciences reference books
During this wealthy choice of essays, editors Dale McConkey and Peter Augustine Lawler discover the contributions that spiritual religion and morality could make to a civil society. although the extent of non secular expression has remained excessive within the usa, the shift from conventional non secular ideals to a much more individualized form of religion has led many to contend that no religion dedication, collective or own, should still give a contribution to the vibrancy of a civil democratic society.
My learn within the highbrow and non secular sphere of 19th century Russia published that ever because the penetration of the style capable anti-ecclesiastical perspectives of the Encyclopedists into Russia, the aristocrats had grown detached to faith. The non secular vacuum created due to such stipulations couldn't final, even though, for a chronic time period; least of all in the course of the many years following the r860's while Russia's ethical, socio-political, and non secular difficulties have been so much acute.
Latinos are the quickest turning out to be inhabitants in the USA at the present time. This two-volume encyclopedia strains the historical past of Latinos within the usa from colonial occasions to the current, targeting their influence at the state in its ancient improvement and present tradition. "Latino background and tradition" covers the myriad ethnic teams that make up the Latino inhabitants.
Pourquoi et remark, avec un minimal de capitaux culturels et économiques de départ, de rares élèves connaissent-ils un greatest de réussite scolaire ? S’agit-il d’une affaire de dons ? De psychologie ? De famille ? Dans un variety clair et alerte, articulant théorie et recherche empirique, ce livre n’hésite pas à s’aventurer sur de nouveaux sentiers.
- Reader's Guide to Lesbian and Gay Studies
- Garden Cities of To-Morrow
- Berkeley’s Philosophy of Science (International Archives of the History of Ideas Archives internationales d'histoire des idées)
- Supplement to the Handbook of Middle American Indians, Volume 3: Literatures
- Designing the Green Economy: The Post-Industrial Alternative to Corporate Globalization
- Keys to Behavior-Based Safety
Additional info for Disasters and Tragic Events: An Encyclopedia of Catastrophes in American History [2 volumes]
Disasters and Tragic Events: An Encyclopedia of Catastrophes in American History [2 volumes] by Mitchell Newton-Matza